Wednesday, May 16, 2012

What I Wish I'd Have Known: Recovery

1. Welp you sure bleed a lot. Some girls only for a couple weeks, some for 6-8 weeks. All normal. At the hospital, ice packs, massive pads, tucks pads, the donut pillow, and painkillers are your friends. Once home, big pads (but not massive for some reason. i think the nurse said you can get a rash?), tucks pads, the donut pillow, and painkillers are your friend. It sounds strange that ice packs down there would feel good but oh my heck, awesome. Tucks pads are great too. The hospital provides most of that stuff. If you are setting timers to remember to eat, set them for your painkillers too. Stay on top of them and you'll be good.

2. Don't be too surprised if your appetite is gone at the hospital and the first few days after. I think the shock does that, and the hormones and baby blues. Danny had to remind me to eat or I would really go all day without food.

3. Some girls fit back into their pre-pregnancy jeans in weeks, some in years, some never. At 11 weeks out I'm almost there, but my body is still hanging onto about 10-15 lbs of baby weight. I've been tracking what I eat and exercising but it's looking like I may be one of those girls with a body that hangs onto some weight until I stop nursing. Dang. So suck it up and buy a pair or two of jeans that CURRENTLY fit you and make you feel good.

4. They gave me percocet and prescription strength tylenol. Percocet can make you loopy though. I didn't realize until I stopped taking it, but it made my baby blues more intense because it put me in a cloud. I don't think I really needed it-800mg of tylenol every 4-6 hours or whatever is a lot!

5. They say sleep when the baby sleeps-I couldn't because of the company we had and because of my anxiety. Man I was so so tired. Melatonin is safe for breastfeeding, I have learned. TAKE IT! It doesn't cause a hangover so even if it's for 2-3 hours of sleep it's worth it.

6. Accept help and meals. If you breastfeed, literally it is all you do for weeks. Cleaning and making food is just not going to happen. That's okay. Make freezer meals in advance and have high protein snacks on hand. Don't feel bad that you didn't do the dishes again. Recovery is hard on you and so is breastfeeding.

7. After the initial shock wears off, get out of the house and let people come over! Fresh air and sunshine does wonders and so does just catching up with friends.

8. Your stomach is going to be all kinds of flabby. I've heard it eventually goes away as you work at it but when you get depressed about it, look at your sweet baby. Worth it. Worth it worth it worth it. Also your pelvic bones are going to feel real funky when you try running.

9. Even if you thought you had child bearing hips before, don't be surprised if your hips spread even more. Dang baby boys!!

10. You will be so, so in love with your baby. It is unbelievable. It may not hit you right after birth, or even at the hospital, but it will and it will overwhelm you. Your baby will be all you can think about. Oh it is awesome and amazing. Oh it is crazy we make little people.

2 comments:

  1. amen and amen to all of your "what i wish i'd known" posts! percocet is evil, breastfeeding is hard, anxiety is real, babies are worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ughhh breastfeeding is so hard with the first! It gets better with the second baby, but those first few weeks (heck, months) of breastfeeding are rough. And I hate that I had a ton of friends who had babies right around the time I had my first, because half of them had facebook posts the week after a baby saying they fit in their pre-pregnancy jeans! That's a joke. Good tips, all of them!

    ReplyDelete